Sunday, October 26, 2014

Day 39 - ColdSpring to Silsbee

Today is a fair number of miles on paper, but we are getting into a flatter area of the country so it isn't expected to be particularly hard.

The day started, cold as usual, but having spent the night at Sunday Cottages we were able to get dressed and eat breakfast in the comfort of warm accommodations.

We left near dawn, the start of the ride, after leaving town was still through national forest land so was quite pretty to start out.

In Shepherd a large number of us stopped at a little donut shop for donuts and coffee. I had an apple fritter, which seemed like a pretty popular choice among some of the other riders as well.

After leaving the shop my legs felt pretty strong. Eventually, I started catching up to some of the other riders and managed to pull in sight of Ron. I did catch up with him briefly at a cross roads where he stopped because Shelly was stopped there talking to a couple of other cyclists. They had started in Phoenix and were doing the cross country piecemeal. I didn't quite catch where they were going after Silsbee, but my recollection is that they were going off route.

I continued to shadow Ron until Honey Island. Shortly before reaching that location Shelly caught up with me.

There was a store/sandwich shop at Honey Island that was very busy. The burgers were good there as well as the hospitality. It was a good place to stop.

Several of us ended up gathering there. I had a burger. Ron left well before the rest of us. As I left Sally and Daryl were ahead of me. I was having a good day and without many hills I was able to catch Sally and kept with her all the way into Silsbee. I ended up with an average riding speed of 13 MPH for the day, which is really good for me.

We camped at a fairly average RV park there called Red Cloud RV. There was a bar next door which we took advantage of for a few cold ones before later going out to a place called West Texas Barbecue for dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment