Thursday, October 23, 2014

Day 37 - Carmine to Roberts

Today is again a long day. Nearly 70 miles. I'm on the cooking crew for tonight and we need to buy our supplies in Navasota which is over 20 miles from camp. Fortunately, for us the proprietor of the camp site agreed to drive into town and haul our groceries to camp.

There area a lot of nice ranches in this area. This place, which you can barely make out in the trees was particularly nice.


The main thing to note in this picture is that there are no mountains. But still a lot of up and down.


We have decided to bbq chicken tonight. I also bought beer again because I wanted to have some when I got to camp.

The day went pretty well. We had a lot of variable condition roads, but overall much better than yesterday. We are still hitting a lot of up and down, and we had some head wind which seemed to affect some of the riders more than others.

I made a couple of wrong turns which made the day for me end with a bit over 70 miles.

The first wrong turn occurred in Navasota. When I got into town I spotted Mitch and since I knew he was going to the grocery store I followed him. When he got to the edge of town he pulled over and I caught up with him. A bit of googling later and we determined that the store we wanted to go to was pretty much at the same location as I had spotted him earlier a bit over a mile back down the road.

We got to the store and then contacted Alisha who showed up after we had done part of the shopping.

The rest of the ride went well for me, except that I missed the sign at the campground. The name of the campsite is Check Point Harley. It caters mainly to cross country cyclists that are doing the southern tier. If you are going through this area it is a must stay place.


No comments:

Post a Comment