The ride down was uneventful and we only made a couple of wrong turns in New Orleans before getting to the Hostel.
After getting settled in we decided to walk to get some lunch.
After a fairly long walk we ended up eating at Mulate's. I would highly recommend eating here if you are in town. It was a little pricey, but worth every penny. I had a Mardi Gras Shrip PoBoy. It was excellent.
We then walked around the river front a bit and then through the French Quarter coming back via Bourbon street. Then back to the Hostel where we rested a bit.
Later we went to dinner and then took the Trolley back down to the French Quarter and walked around again.
My impressions were.
1) Food choices were abundant, some good. Some not.
2) Places to drink were overly abundant. Even during the day there were a lot of drunk people.
3) The music choices ranged from awful to pretty good. I was somewhat disappointed, but it may be that I just didn't go to the right places.
4) There is still a lot of construction going on. Lots of places the sidewalks were shut down and there were a lot of places where the inside of buildings were getting remodeled.
5) There were a lot of homeless people, or at least they appeared homeless.
If I go again, I would want to find a place with good music and hang out. The general drunken street party thing doesn't seem like a lot of fun.
Early in the day we had made arrangements to take a bicycle tour the next day at 9AM. This turned out to be the real highlight of the trip. Our tour guide was entertaining and apparently quite knowledgeable of the area. We toured a lot of the local area next to the French Quarter which was quite interesting. Along the way he gave a lot of history of the area including some local neighborhood history.
The bikes were single speed cruisers with coaster brakes which took some getting used to riding. I don't think any of us were comfortable with them by the time we got done.
Then we walked back into the French Quarter and ended up eating lunch at Margaritaville. It was pretty good, but not really all that notable. After that we drove back to St. Francisville. Had dinner and off to bed.