Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 30 - Big Oak River Campground to Lost Maples State Park

Today presents several steep climbs, but is fairly short milage wise.

I started the day tired from the prior day. I'm not sure why but it turned out that I had a pretty good day. The day started quite cold and I ended up hitting the steep part of the first climb before I stopped to take off my cold weather gear. I was going good so I did the whole climb with it on. By the time I got to the top I was sweating pretty hard.

A view of Texas hill country. Most of the time it looks more or less like this, except that it is usually fenced to keep the deer in.


The top of the climb had a lot of fairly significant rollers and then a sweet down hill. The road surface today is a hair better than yesterday with the steep sections tending to be older seal coat which has gotten fairly smooth. With no shoulder we were riding in the traffic lane which wasn't a big deal because traffic was light and for the most part courteous. But as in all states Texas has some bike unfriendly drivers. A couple of times I was passed by what looked like people driving a fleet of new cars somewhere. A couple of them didn't give me much room and they were bunched up.

After the first climb we stopped in a town called Leakey and I had a burger at the Bent Rim Grill. A definite place to stop if you need something to eat there. It is a Biker (motor) joint but very friendly. A lot of motor cyclists ride these roads so expect to see a lot of them.


After that we had back to back steep climbs and then a descent down to a junction in the road where there was a nice little store with wifi. I drank a Gator Aid and some chocolate milk and sat out front and did a quick catch up since we had no good cell service from Verizon in this area. Other providers were poor but occasionally available.

Most of the climbs the road looked like these two pictures.



We then proceeded the final 4 miles to our camp site at Lost Maples State Park.



No comments:

Post a Comment