Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day 20 - Leasburg Dam State Park to El Paso

Today we go to El Paso. Texas here we come. We will be in Texas for a long time. The ride today was  reported to be 63 miles on the itinerary, Which may be true depending on the route you take to get to El Paso and where you stay. However, at the end of the day I ended up with 84 miles. So it was a fairly long day.

The day started out with riding through quite a few Pecan orchards. This is a typical shot of what it was like.

While riding south of Las Cruses, I started noticing a bunch of cyclists out for what appeared to be a group ride. At one point one turned around and caught up with me and we chatted briefly about how much I was carrying. He was training for a cross country ride.

Later on I caught some cyclists at what appeared to be a turn around. Someone was taking pictures there and took one of me. Not sure whether they thought I was part of the group or not.

Later on we took the Anthony Gap  alliterative to get to El Paso. This involved a bit of a climb, but avoided a lot of other problems that the other route would have given us.

After the climb a few short miles south and into Texas we go.

After this point the road trend generally downhill and we had a great tail wind until we made the turn west to get to our lodging for the night.

We are staying at a Quality Inn, which is very nice. I'm sharing a room with Mitch this time and we are planning on eating out tonight. Some laundry is in the works. It feels good to be done with two long days. Over 150 miles in 2 days.

I'm starting to really notice that my riding gear is getting kind of lose. My legs are feeling stronger and I seem to be keeping up with the group a bit better than at the start. The next few days will be telling though as we end this stretch of riding days with a 90 mile day with few services and what appears to be at least 3000 ft of climbing.


2 comments:

  1. Whoa! Another climb? I thought you were done with those. I am not remembering right. Sigh (Really, I don't have dementia.) I wish you knew how many of our friends and family are following your blog. They get up in the morning and the first thing they do is check to see your progress. It's stirred up quite a bit of excitement around here. ;-) I get asked every single day-where's Doug now? I am so thankful for the tracking program. I can tell them. Heh heh. I love you sweetie.
    Linda Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally the climbing won't be over until we reach Austin. After that there will be some small climbs of less than a mile I expect. Texas has a lot of mountains.

    ReplyDelete