Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 9 Rest DAY

Today was a rest day in Phoenix.

Got a phone call to the room at 1:15 AM from somebody who was looking for a spanish couple. Don't know what was up with thaat.

Breakfast at Ihop. Then a trip down to the Slippery Pig bike shop to pick up a new mirror an extra set of gloves and get some things fixed on my bike. They ended up replacing the shifter cable for the rear and fixed up a few other odds and ends. The bike shifts better now.

Ended up riding about 12 miles for that.

Then I packed up about 10 pounds of stuff I don't need and mailed it home.

Then laundry and I caught up on the blog.

Yesterday Floyd Anderson contacted me about going to dinner. We went to dinner at Claim Jumpper with his wife and daughter and had quite a pleasant evening.

Sometime in the middle of the night a small spanish gentlemen knocked on our door asking if Tracy was in the room. Quite disturbing. He went on to another room and did the same thing. I still got plenty of sleep though.

No picture for the day. But here is my bike ride.


2 comments:

  1. Not sure if you are following your blog still. I am preparing to go on the Southern Tier in September. What stuff did you end up sending home? I noticed that you had a list of what you took early in your blog. What did you end up with at the end of the ride, supply-wise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a heavy duty bike lock. I realized that a light duty cable and a combo lock was all I needed. Most places I didn't need to lock my bike. If I stopped at a place to eat I would just park my bike where I could see it and all was good. Some places I would lock up my bike based on local advise. I had some tools that I sent back that I didn't need. I don't remember everything else. Even though it was quite a bit of stuff it didn't seem to make riding any easier. One thing I took that really came in handy at the start was 64 ounce thermos. By the time I got out of Texas I wasn't using it, but that was due to unusually low temperatures. I wish I had taken some warmer gear for the nights when it got really cold. I have since upgraded my sleeping bag to something that packs better and is slightly warmer. I also wish that I had taken an extra riding jersey. Mine wore out and I found marginal replacements in Austin. I'm tall and you really can't get tall sizes anywhere except online, even in Austin. One thing I have now is a click stand. I really wish I had that on the trip. I also upgraded my handlebar bag to an Ortlieb bag. Good luck with your ride. I think about mine frequently. Another thing I discovered along the way was that a small bag of the Tide pods traveled well. Since we were in a group we would often share a washer and some places detergent wasn't available for purchase even though there were machines. I think I picked up the bag just before we hit Austin and it lasted until we got to the end. Not sure what else to add other than enjoy the ride.

      Delete