Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 4 - Brawley to Palo Verde

Day 4, was hard.

I finally did get an early start rolling out the door before dawn to try and beat the heat.

About 5 miles down the road the sun came up.

Then we got into sand dunes and stopped at the Glamis store to get water.
The climb out of Glamis was fairly gentle passing by the chocolate mountains. Just past where this picture was taken we got into some rollers some easy some hard. Then past the border patrol check point where they waved me through. And then more rollers as we went downhill. There were a few nice downhill sections but always more rollers.

The day was hot and tiring. The sun really sapped my energy.

 At this point I was pretty tired so another 13 miles seemed like a long ways. More rollers followed.

Patty stopped after this post and I took on some more water and gator aid. I caught up with a couple more riders and we proceeded on. Finally reaching the flat of the the valley that Palo Verde is in.
I stopped at a rest area that had running water and refrigerated drinking fountains. As I rested in the shade there another rider Dave that isn't part of our group stopped. He is riding with a friend of Phil and Patty, Franklin and we waited until they showed up.

Shelly eventually showed up as well. Earlier I had passed her on one of last rollers and waited at the top where I somehow managed to drop my phone. She noticed it averting a somewhat major annoyance and expense.

I turns out we were only two miles from camp. So refreshed and slightly rested we pedaled into camp.


The camp hosts provided us a taco dinner. The town is starting to look like a ghost tow with the local stores and gas station closing.

I'm feeling stronger every day. But dreading what looks like another hard climb tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. Good Job, Doug! Keep going. Hope to see you again in Austin!

    ReplyDelete