Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 6 - Quartzite to Salome

Today we left Quartzite and moved on to Salome. The ride was fairly easy but trended uphill all day. We started out on the freeway which wasn't bad and then had a bit of downhill trough the nice little wide spot in the road called Brenda that had a really nice store. They even provided ice water for us.


After having a pretty good day yesterday I was expecting this shorter day to be easy as well. But it turned out to be a bit harder due to a cross head wind and spending a lot of time in the heat.

When we arrived at hope I spent quite a bit of time resting in the shade before conquering the last bit of a climb. Saw this very nice corvette while resting here.


The last bit was not all that bad, 4 miles of climbing and then a short slight downhill into Salome. Where we enjoyed the accommodations at the Sheffler's Motel. It was probably nice at some point in the past, but I would not ever recommend it unless it was your only option.


There was a nice restaurant and bar across the street where Shelly bought me a beer for helping her out the day we rode into Palo Verde. All I did was give her a few Electrolyte tablets about 2 miles from the end. I figure I owe her a beer for noticing that I dropped my phone earlier that day. We had some chips and salsa and cooled off before dinner.

Ron and Mitch cooked up something that was quite tasty, pot surprise or something like that is what Ron called it.

Rumor has it that there were a couple of baby rattle snakes in the grass eating crickets, which were also infesting some of the rooms from what I hear.

It was a good day. Everyday seems to be hard but I am seeing signs of improved fitness that should make it easier in the days to come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment