Saturday, September 20, 2014

Day 2 - Alpine to Boulevard

Day 2 was a relatively short ride mile wise but in theory more climbing than day 1. The day started with everyone trying to figure out how all this is going to work with cooking, etc. I started trying to organize my stuff so that it is quick to pack up but have not had as much success as I would like.

The route had a number of fairly difficult climbs along with a section on the freeway to start out. Some might think this was bad, but I think if you could stay on the freeway with the wide shoulder and pretty smooth pavement that it would be safer.

A view of our campground on the way out.


The day started with some riding on the freeway.  Quite a bit of uphill. There was a vista point that cyclists are required to exit on. You could just barely see the buildings in San Diego from here. 

After getting off the freeway we eventually made it to Pine Valley.  Mitch passed me on an uphill before I got there.

At that point he informed me that Jim Burke who I had the pleasure of riding wih for part of the first day had decided to abandon as well. He added a lot to our group with a unique outlook on things. After the first two days of very hot riding with a lot of climbing I think many of us have been challenged and at least speaking for myself I was close to my limit more than once.

 When I got into Pine Valley I first noticed some emergency vehicles on the side if the road. I hoped it wasn't one our group.  Unfortunately, it was. Clint had run into the back of a truck that was parked on the shoulder. He had his head down pedaling and didn't see it.

He appeared to be reasonably OK with a bandaged left arm from the accident, no apparent damage to his bike or the truck. The officer at the scene wanted Mitch's phone number.  Which he immediately called.  It turns out Mitch was just up the street in a local diner so he was able to ride back to the scene and took care of helping Clint get transportation.  As it turns out Patty, Phil's wife was driving Max to the next camp and then Jim Vincent back to San Diego.

At first it appeared that Clint was going to continue on the next day but eventually he made the decision to try and rejoin us in Phoenix.  I really hope that he can.

Here is a picture of Jim, on the left and Clint that I took in San Diego at the hostel.

After leaving Clint in the capable hands of Mitch and Phil I stopped at Majors Coffee Shop and had a half a sandwich and bowl of soup. The staff went out of their way to fill all my water bottles, with ice, and my 64 Ounce Thermos, which so far is looking like one of the best things that I brought as it keeps water ice cold all day.

After a climb out of the Pine Valley, which proved to be somewhat easier than I expected there was a nice long decent, including dodging a speed bump that the Border Patrol had in the middle of the road. It seemed like about every 4th or 5th vehicle was Border Patrol. Given how much they use that road you would think it would be better maintained.

Later on I saw Patty shuttling Clint and Jim back to San Diego. They told me to take Church road instead of the other one that we had planned on taking. 

About this time the clouds came in and just after Mitch caught up and passed me again it started to rain. Very pleasant!

Got to the appointed road and had a very nice fast decent. At the end of the road the decision was to turn left or right. I figured right, but took my phone out to check with google. I had a text from Mitch, turn right and about 1 mile uphill to the camp turn off.

Got my tent set up and a shower and dinner was ready. Need to get to camp earlier. Must get an earlier start in the morning.

Here is the route I took. Again, not from my Garmin. I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment