Sunday, September 28, 2014

Day 12 - Globe to Safford

Today is a long ride, mile wise. 71 miles, in theory.

The day for me started pretty good. The first 20 some miles went by pretty fast even though there was some climbing. But then the head wind kicked in. It was probably 10-20 MPH and continued all day.

Along the way I noticed a cell phone battery and then I saw the phone. I stopped and picked up the battery, which was pretty beat up and the phone, which was missing the back. Surprisingly the phone worked. My plan is to drop it off at the first Verizon store I see, but it is likely that no one wants it as it was very beat up.

After hours of riding I eventually arrived at Pima with Phil and Max. I stopped to get a bite to eat but it was already getting dark. After eating I set up my lights on my bike and helmet and started riding. A short way down the road I noticed that my front tire was going soft. So I stopped on a corner where there was a street light and started fixing it. A police car stopped to see if I needed help. At that point I declined as I thought it would be a quick fix. Pretty soon it became apparent that the leak was very slow and then a nice gentleman name Lee stopped with his truck and offered to help. I decided that it was time to call it a day and accepted his offer to drive me to the end, at this point it was probably less than 10 miles.

He did so and refused any offer of gas money because, as he put it, he has been in the position of needing a ride and not able to get one in the past. We did make a couple of wrong turns getting to the camp site but made it there eventually. It was a very hard day. 

Tomorrow is a shorter day so we are going to get a slightly later start so we can rest up. Had pizza delivered for dinner which was good. My appetite is still not very good. I tend to get full after eating about half of what I would normally eat.

We stayed in a nice spot as you can see from this picture I took the next morning. We didn't put up tents but instead stayed in the recreation room of the RV park.



No comments:

Post a Comment