Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 10 - Phoenix to Apache Junction

Today we leave Phoenix.

That isn't to say we are out of town yet. We made it to Apache Junction. City all the way. Stop and go with a long ride through the Mesa residential dessert. No convenience stores and we found a park with a water fountain behind a locked gate. I didn't like Phoenix, but Mesa is not bike friendly on hot days.

I also started the day with another flat. Picked up a self tapping sheet metal screw. I was able to patch the tube without taking the tire off the bike so got going fairly quickly.

We stopped at a couple of parks along the way to refresh our water and rest.


I spend most of the day riding with Hal who bunked with me during the rest day.

We climbed a little, but nothing that you would call a hill. The day was very hot and had many stop lights and signs to negotiate which made it somewhat hard for me.

Stopped at  a gas station after traversing Mesa and bought a gallon of water to replenish what I had drunk and some that I dumped because it was hot.

I then stopped at a KFC an had sandwich and cooled off a little before riding the final 3 miles into camp.

It is very hot here tonight. Hope I can sleep. Tomorrow is a big climbing day with a couple of places with limited water stops and a tunnel. But we are going into cooler territory so hopefully it will be easier.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment