Sunday, September 28, 2014

Day 11 - Apache Junction to Globe

Today's ride is from Apache Junction to Globe. Some significant climbing along the way. I think it ended up being something like 4000 ft of elevation gain.

The day started hot. I woke up sweating. The good news is it is supposed to be a lot cooler in Globe.

For me the first part of the day was hard I think mainly because of the heat. I spent quite a bit of time in Superior at a small Restaurant. Phil and Max joined me just before I left. They caught up with me near the tunnel on the climb out of Globe.

This is a climb you should avoid (in my opinion) because it is simply too dangerous. There is heavy traffic and mostly no shoulder. A short distance out of Superior you need to travel through a tunnel. While this is somewhat unnerving because of the noise of cars, it didn't seem like the worst part of the ride for danger.

Phil and Max coming through the tunnel. As you can see there is no shoulder, which is typical of the whole climb where there is a passing lane, which everyone seems obediently to stay in even if there is a cyclist on the road.

From where I took this picture there was a truck broke down. Apparently they blew a radiator hose trying to pass one of our group earlier in the day.


It took me a long time to do the climb and Phil and Max fairly quickly left me behind. At what seems like the top we were welcomed by this sign. To which I reply "lies all lies". It was actually about a mile of downhill, followed by another few miles of uphill, some more downhill, another sign promising may miles of downhill, and then more uphill. By the time I saw the last one I didn't believe a word of it, but indeed there was more downhill. At one point I was keeping pace with traffic, so moved to the center of the lane. Cars still wanted around me to try and fit into the safe following distance I had.

It was shortly after this point on a downhill that a white Van came within inches of me. Bernoulli effect notwithstanding a mirror passing mere inches away from your shoulder is unnerving.

Drivers, please give cyclist 3 ft or slow down and wait until you can. 


In Globe we stayed at the community center. They had a pool. But it was empty. We camped out in the park there. We had some clouds and before I got to Globe there was evidence that it had rained as there was still water puddled in the rumble strips.



No comments:

Post a Comment