Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 5 - Palo Verde to Quartzite

Today we go on to Quartzite via Blythe. Leaving California just past Blythe. The ride started with a flat decent road through irrigated farmland. And somewhat overcast sky.

For me the first few miles into Blythe I felt sluggish.
We crossed the river into Arizona via a narrow pedestrian walkway along the freeway. It had a rather poorly maintained approach. Which was steep so had to push the bike up. When I got to the top it was very narrow so I ended up walking across.

Halfway across is the Arizona California border.

After crossing the river we had an uphill along the freeway. Lots of trucks and lots of shredded tire carcasses to dodge. But generally a pleasant ride for me. I'm used to riding where there is lots of traffic. Especially with a shoulder wide enough to park a semi on.
The hill was fairly long but not steep. For the first time on this trip I felt pretty good on a climb. Probably mostly due to better temperatures due to the clouds.

At the top of the climb was our turn off to a side road down to Quartzite. The downhill had a few rollers but went by quickly.
Then I arrived at our accommodations for the night.
I stayed in the Black Pearl. My roommates. Max is on the right.
We went out for pizza at Silly Als.
It was very good. Then off to Dairy Queen for desert.

Tomorrow we go on to Salome.  Another fairly short day with some climbs.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you felt better on this climb sweetie. You're doing great! So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete