Sunday, September 14, 2014

San Diego Day 3

The day started with breakfast and Clint had a flat tire which we helped him fix. He picked up a thorn that was about a quarter of an inch long. Just long enough to puncture the tube.

Met with  Scott Hall and Joe Carrick today. Joe bought lunch. We at a place called Anthony's. Had coconut encrusted Tilapia. It was good. I've been eating very well, breakfast here consists of the option of making some pancakes or cereal with yogurt and berries. And of course the obligatory coffee. The staff is excellent! If you ever need an inexpensive place to stay in San Diego this is a good option. .


Went for a short ride, About 5 miles in I noticed that my map that was in my map holder was missing.  Backtracked almost back to the hostel and found it laying in the ditch.

After that I started thinking more about the rear derailer not shifting quite right and swung by the bike shop. They adjusted it pretty well so it is shifting as well as it ever has. They charged my only $10 instead of the $15 that they quoted me up front because they couldn't quite get it perfect, but since it shifts better than any bike I've ever owned, I'm very happy.

I only got about 10 miles of riding in.

Had Pizza for dinner, leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.

We had our kick off meeting. Where our group leader explained a lot of the details. It is my understanding that our itinerary will be changing somewhat from what I posted earlier, but I don't know details yet.

The gist of the meeting was to use common sense, and let Mitch or someone to know if you are having issues. There will be some things to work out as far as coordinating when and what we do.

Tomorrow, we do a ride, more or less like the one I did yesterday. Same major destinations as well as doing the traditional dip the wheels in the Pacific.


Water bottle with Adventure Cycling logo and a plastic container for our lunches was distributed. Will have to figure out where to put them. It looks as if the gear we need to distribute is particularly large or heavy. It will be interesting to see how things play out.


Everyone seems to have showed up and seem ready to go. Most everyone is claiming that they will be riding very slow, but I'm pretty sure that some are going to be a lot faster than they profess.

Tomorrow breakfast at 7 or so and take off at 8:30 for our group ride. We have the option of not carrying our gear, which I will probably opt for just because it will be the last time I'll get to ride the bike for any significant distance unloaded for the next 2 months.

Today's ride, complete with test ride in parking lot of Performance Bicycle shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment