Sunday, August 24, 2014

Getting Ready

This year I've finally decided to do a cross country bicycle ride. I've always wanted to do this since I was in college. For many reasons, mostly time and money I've never been able to do this until now.

The ride starts in San Diego, CA on Sept 16th and ends in St. Augustine Fl. Nov 16th The following is an overview of the route courtesy of adventurecycling.org which organized the ride.


Hopefully I will have the strength to do the ride. I think it is going to be mostly a mental struggle, but there will be some physical challenges as well. I'm mostly worried about the second day since the first two days are climbing. After that things flatten out for awhile. Actually, what I'm most worried about is getting leg cramps. Which if I'm smart I should be able to mostly avoid.

After that I think the second week will be somewhat of a challenge because we start getting into some more serious climbing.

After the second week I expect that the physical challenges will start to even out as my body gets used to riding every day. But it looks like there are some challenging hills in West Texas.

After we hit Austin I'll probably start missing the mountains as it appears to be pretty much dead flat until the ocean.

I started this blog with the goal of providing updates of my progress.

Part of my goal it to provide maps of my progress.

Here is a map of ride I did over the weekend. Not much of interest. Just trying to figure out how to embed a map. This map is interactive so you can zoom in and out. But if you want a more detailed map click on the link below which will take you to the Map My Ride version which has other data, such as the elevation profile.




Less than 1 month until I leave. I'm starting to feel like I'm physically ready. This past week I rode 30+ miles every day instead of my normal 25. The above was a bit over 60 miles, mostly flat. But as is always the case before a long multiple day ride I never feel ready. I expect to have some pretty sore muscles by the end of the first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment